The recipe can be found here. My substitutions/selections/changes:
- maple syrup (1 1/4 cup, but I bet you could use just 1 cup) instead of date syrup
- whole wheat pastry flour instead of barley flour
- omitted the chocolate chips
- I also highly recommend pressing down on the cake after it cools to make it denser, as it does fluff up a bit when it’s cooked.
- I also recommend serving this right away, because the crispy exterior gets soft after it’s stored… (this has always happened with oil-free baked goods I’ve made in the past).