Cornish Pasty here in Phoenix is one of my favorite restaurants. They have great vegan options, but unfortunately, their amazing soups are not on that list. So I decided to veganize their Spinach, Mushroom, and Walnut soup (the original has cream in it). The results turned out delicious!
Let’s just say my search for the perfect vegan grilled cheese is over. And I will say the same for this tomato basil soup. Although, if you’re making the soup for yourself, cut the recipe in half as it makes a lot! The vegan grilled cheese is based off of VegNews mac and cheese sauce here. The tomato soup is a simplified and veganized version of Ina Garten’s Tomato Basil Soup here. I have to say, I really love these two together!
- 6 cucumbers (6 pounds), peeled, seeded, and coarsely chopped (12 cups)
- 2 yellow bell peppers, stem and seeds removed, coarsely chopped
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 2 jalapeño peppers, minced (I used the seeds out of one of the peppers)
- 2 Tbsp finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 Tbsp finely chopped fresh dill
- 1 Tbsp finely chopped fresh mint
- 3-4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups plain soy yogurt
- 1 recipe cashew sour cream (see below)
- 2 tsp white wine vinegar
- rounded 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- rounded 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1/8 tsp onion powder
- 1/8 tsp dried oregano
- 1/8 tsp dried thyme
- for garnish: fresh minced chives and extra batch of cashew sour cream
Combine all ingredients except garnish in a large bowl. Working in batches, puree the ingredients in a blender until very smooth. Transfer the soup to the refrigerator until well chilled, at least 2 hours. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary. Serve soup with each bowl with a sprinkle or two of salt and garnished with a dollop of sour cream and some minced chives.
Cashew Sour Cream
- 1 cup cashews, soaked in 1 1/2 cups water overnight or longer, and drained
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- juice from 1/2 a lemon (1-2 Tbsp)
- 1/3 cup water
Blend all ingredients in a blender for a few minutes till smooth (you may have to scrape the sides of the blender a couple times to ensure all the cashew pieces are incorporated).