I’m not someone who has cravings for potato salad… but this recipe looked interesting enough for me to try, and it is delicious! Click here for the recipe from Cathy at StraightUpFood.com
I only used half the lemon juice, and that was plenty for me. I also only needed the 1/2 cup soy milk, and my avocado wasn’t ripe, so I left it out.
Sprouts sells this soy milk that only has two ingredients: water and soy beans…. which I love b/c it takes away the argument behind the latest “got milk” campaign. 🙂
This recipe is a veganized version of Emeril’s Cucumber Soup found here. The cashew sour cream is a modification of this recipe.
- 6 cucumbers (6 pounds), peeled, seeded, and coarsely chopped (12 cups)
- 2 yellow bell peppers, stem and seeds removed, coarsely chopped
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 2 jalapeño peppers, minced (I used the seeds out of one of the peppers)
- 2 Tbsp finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 Tbsp finely chopped fresh dill
- 1 Tbsp finely chopped fresh mint
- 3-4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups plain soy yogurt
- 1 recipe cashew sour cream (see below)
- 2 tsp white wine vinegar
- rounded 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- rounded 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1/8 tsp onion powder
- 1/8 tsp dried oregano
- 1/8 tsp dried thyme
- for garnish: fresh minced chives and extra batch of cashew sour cream
Combine all ingredients except garnish in a large bowl. Working in batches, puree the ingredients in a blender until very smooth. Transfer the soup to the refrigerator until well chilled, at least 2 hours. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary. Serve soup with each bowl with a sprinkle or two of salt and garnished with a dollop of sour cream and some minced chives.
Cashew Sour Cream
- 1 cup cashews, soaked in 1 1/2 cups water overnight or longer, and drained
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- juice from 1/2 a lemon (1-2 Tbsp)
- 1/3 cup water
Blend all ingredients in a blender for a few minutes till smooth (you may have to scrape the sides of the blender a couple times to ensure all the cashew pieces are incorporated).
This was both creamy and light, with a little kick! …perfect summer soup.